Monday, April 9, 2012

New take on Macaroons - Lower Calorie Coconut Macaroons & Birds Nests

Pin It
Hey everyone! I'm baaaaack! :)

Sorry it's been so long in between posts. I've actually done a couple of things for this and just haven't gotten around to putting them in words. I'll try to do better.

Just a quick post today, but it's a yummy one!

Lent ended yesterday and boy was I glad! Every year I give up chocolate. Let me just tell you it makes for a rough 40 days. I always hope its going to jump-start my weight loss, but somehow it never works. :( The worse part is that's usually when I find all sorts of yummy chocolate related recipes. Go Figure.

I've been filling my Pinterest boards with all sorts of "I'm going to try this once Lent's over" pins. I found one for Nutella Birds Nests over at a great site called Two Peas and Their Pod. You should check it out, but finish looking here first, k.

Coconut Macaroons are one of my all time favorite cookies. I couldn't believe it when I realized I had never made them before. What in the world have I been doing with my time? LOL!

I couldn't believe all the different recipes for them. Some with butter, some with flour, some with Sweetened Condensed milk. How to choose, how to choose....Well, I channeled my inner Pooh Bear (come-on now you know you do it too) Think, Think, Think... and remembered this recipe I had seen on the Skinny Tastes site. She has lots of Amazing food and most are low or lower calories. This is a great site if your doing Weight Watchers. Check her out when you get a chance.

I decided to combine the two recipes and see what I could come up with. Since both sites are pretty comprehensive in their instructions I didn't do a step by step here, just the finished product. The Skinny Taste recipe is 3 points for 2 cookies and mine ended up just a little bigger than hers. She had 17 and I ended up with 14 but still pretty close.

Here's what I ended up with-

Skinny Coconut Macaroons
So Yummy! My stone is from Pampered Chef and it's well loved and worked great for this.

Here's some made into Birds Nests-

Nutella Birds Nests

I used under 1/2 tsp of Nutella, probably closer to 1/4 tsp which only added 50 calories to each cookie. I then added 3 little M&M eggs and they were done.

These were incredibly rich even without the butter or Sweetened Condensed Milk and the Nutella made them even richer. I only ate 2 and I was more than satisfied.

I hope you'll give these a try. They really are so Amazing, either way you make them. 

Enjoy! Oh, and I've linked this to The Sweet Spot's Link Party for this week. Check out all of the yummy foods over there.




Hope to see you back real soon. Till next time- Remember- Life isn't about Waiting for the storm to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment