Thursday, July 12, 2012

Healthy New Recipe. Greek Quinoa Salad with Grilled Shrimp

Pin It

Hey ya'll. Hope you're having a Fabulous week! Just one more day till the weekend. Woo-Hoo! :)

I just posted this over on my A Better Shan blog and thought I'd share it here for you too!

I have a new recipe for you today. I try to cook up food for the 2 weeks between paychecks on Sundays and I did some of that this past weekend. 3 new recipes. Yea Shan! As you may or may-not have heard last Sunday was day 11 of the longest and hottest Heat-Wave the DMV had ever had. Thankfully it stopped the next day but they are predicting high temps again this weekend. Any-whoo, I was kind of in the mood for a Greek Salad, but wanted something with a little more protein and lasting power. They had shrimp in nice little packs on sale at the grocery store and I got the yummiest idea for lunch. Instead of a regular salad or even a cold "pasta" salad, why not use Quinoa. It's good hot or cold, like pasta and so good in so many different recipes and I had a brand new package at home. So, why not combine the flavors of my Greek Salad with the extra protein of the quinoa for a new taste? I could hardly wait to get home and try it.

Greek Quinoa Salad with Grilled Shrimp
(Sorry, I just realized it's a little blurry. I was in a hurry to enjoy it!)

Here's what you need-
quinoa, shrimp, feta cheese, cucumbers, cherry/grape tomatoes, red-wine vinegar, Greek seasonings, chicken stock or base and anything else you normally enjoy in your Greek Salad. I'm not a big olive fan, love the oil not the olives, and am def. not an anchovie fan. No hairy little fishes in my salad, Thank You Very Much!

Ooops! I forgot the Greek Seaoning> :(

This is so easy and tasty, you're going to want to make some tonight.

1- Prepare your quinoa. I like this brand that I got at my local Giant, because it's pre-washed. Anything that makes my job easier and decreases my time in the kitchen (even though I love cooking) is great. I've been using Better than Bouillon instead of canned broth. It's concentrated, 1 tsp = an 8oz can of broth, and it takes up less space than all those cans, it tastes better than cubes and is more cost effective. I actually use 1/2 tsp /8oz and still get tremendous chicken flavor. Oh and it's 0 points. :)

2- While your quinoa is cooking go ahead and prepare your shrimp. Peel them, de-vein them if necessary and put them in a bowl.

Aren't these beautiful? All I had to do was shell them. The store had already de-veined them for me 

3- Remember to not throw away your shells. Put them in a plastic baggy and freeze them. You can use this to make stock later.




 4- Add just a skosh of olive oil and your Greek-seasoning to your bowl. You just want enough oil so that the seasonings stick. Mix until all the shrimp are coated with the seasonings. 

5- Grill those sweet little morsels up until they are pink and done. Not too long though because you don't want them to get dry. 

This made two servings


I used my George Foreman, cuz like I said it was a bajillion degrees outside, and look how scrumptious they look! All pink and yummy. I actually had them on skewers first but the lid didn't close all the way like that so I grilled them just on the plates like this and they turned out Fab!

6- While the shrimps are grilling, prepare the rest of your salad ingredients. I diced up some cucumber and sliced some little grape tomatoes. Your quinoa should be finished by now.

7- Once everything is cooked mix your veggies, shrimp and quinoa together and add just a splash of the red-wine vinegar (or more to taste). Top with your feta cheese and get ready for the taste explosion.

8- Enjoy your healthy meal. This meal is 8 W.W. Points Plus points and trust me worth every one. It's full of wholesome fresh food and the points come from the proteins, so eat up and enjoy! This meal is good served hot, but I think it's even better served with the quinoa cold.



Thanks so much for taking the time out of your day and stopping by today. I hope you'll give this recipe a try. If you do, I'd love to hear what you thought.

Till next time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This recipe with shrimp looks amazing! Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We loved having you and hope you will come back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete